Training for teachers on issues of race, belonging, migration and empire.

Teaching Race first.

Home Forums Pedagogy Teaching Race first.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ailo
    Participant

The readings have been illuminating; really powerful questions and lines of enquiry. Have any teachers out there started to consider how to begin teaching Race, explicitly? I am starting a SOL on “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings”, and I want to frontload a discussion on race, and how we define it. Does anyone have any teaching resources they would be willing to share? What has worked well? I was going to pose some of the questions from: Teaching Race, Racism, and Racial Justice: Pedagogical Principles and Classroom Strategies for Course Instructors.
    e.g.
    What/how did you first learn about race?
    When do you first learn that you were a member of a racial group?
    What/how did you learn about your racial group?
    When did you first learn that there were racial groups other than your own?

and the rest, as well as starting the unit with “radical honesty” for all teachers of the scheme. Beyond that, I was hoping someone might be willing to share what works well with white majority, working class student populations.

Thank you in advance.

Phosa
    Participant

I have. I love the idea of teaching race as a social construct too. Especially what caused the creation of racial hierarchies, and how that affects how we view ourselves. Also like discussed in our first masterclass, interrogating how race is constructed discursively in texts and literature.

LouiseFillingham
    Participant

I’ve just finished reading Empireland bby Santham Sanghera and there were some chapters that I think would be really useful in helping to teach about Race and Racism

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.